Problems with too much salt:
– Fluid Retention
– High Blood Pressure
– Major increase or decreases in urination
– Increase in thirst
According to GIna Roberts-Grey of Next Avenue, Americans eat about twice as much salt (Sodium) as recommended by the American Heart Association. So, how do you cut back?
– Eat oatmeal for breakfast – Top it with fresh berries. Now there’s virtually no sodium.
– Drop the pizza – You can get ALL your daily salt from two slices of a 14-inch pepperoni pizza. Make it yourself, salt free OR eat one piece OR do without once.
– Eat out less – cut our sodium intake in half.
– Use salt substitutes – It will cut your salt intake by 20%. Try Kosher salt, turmeric, fresh basil, dried herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, wine and vinegar, garlic or ginger. Mrs. Dash is a good brand.
– Minimize processed foods in general – Eat fresh chicken.